An element is part of another element of the same type.
A tree represents a hierarchical whole/part relationship between elements of the same type. Hierarchical relationships are based on degrees or levels of superordination and subordination, where the superordinate element represents a whole and subordinate elements represent its members or parts.
- An organisation is structured as a tree of departments, teams and roles.
- A capability decomposition is structured as a tree of sub-capabilities.
- A product portfolio is structured as a tree of categories, products and components.
- A brand portfolio is structured as a tree of corporate, product and special edition brands.
- A purpose and goal portfolio is structured as a tree of strategic, tactical and operational outcomes.
- Decompose an element into its smaller sub-elements.
- Express that a sub-element is a part of its superior element.