Enterprise Elements | Facet and Intersection Elements | Identity
What is being communicated to people.
Content refers to the information and data that is being communicated between and to people. Content always conveys messages and clues, both explicit and implicit, that people use to construct their perception of the enterprise's identity. It requires a medium to convey those underlying message and clues to its audiences, such as audiovisual media like text, images, video or accessible alternatives. In an enterprise, various forms of content are being produced and maintained, exchanged and promoted.
For an enterprise, content is a valuable asset, vital for its success, both when running processes and when communicating within the enterprise and its ecosystem. On the inside, content represents the intellectual capital that supports all kinds of internal communication and business activities with context and insights. On the outside, it is everything the enterprise communicates in a structured or unstructured way as part of its continuous dialogue and processes involving external parties.
The different channels and media reflect the various purposes content is produced for, as part of a communication process in the larger business context. How well an individual piece of content fulfils that purpose depends on its ability to tell a meaningful story and create meaning for the people being addressed.
The increasing amount and importance of content requires enterprises to develop sophisticated content strategy, inventory and lifecycle management practices supported by information systems.
Depicting a tree relationship. Also known as Content Model or Content Inventory.
- A car manufacturer displays the latest models and their features on a website, including videos and animations.
- A digital platform for vacation homes produces and displays professional photos to potential guests.
- A political party uses pre-written statements to answer public questions to its chatbot via social media.
- A hardware manufacturer refers to online instruction manual content on customer request by email.
- A consultant develops a mission statement and a process dashboard available to employees on the intranet.
- Capture key messages and media used to convey identity, story and purpose to audiences.
- Set a consistent tone of voice across media and distribution channels to best engage people.
- Represent and communicate information about relevant objects in a structured way.
- Plan and manage content needed for the enterprise's processes.
- Design the data assets related to the required content.